Archive for December, 2009

Doing Biz with the Gov

I’m swimming in alphabet soup registering my business for federal and State of Texas contracts. My head is about to explode so I thought I’d document the process and save others from blowing a gasket.

Federal CCR Registration

  1. To do business with the federal government, you must be in the Central Contractor Registration database. Register here: https://www.bpn.gov/ccr/Default.aspx
  2. But, getting a CCR requires that you have a D-U-N-S Number, a unique nine digit identification number, for each physical location of your business. Don’t worry, it’s free. Get that number here: http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform/index.jsp

  3. But, before you can get a DUNS number, you have to get an EIN and the business name you enter in your DUNS application must be exactly the same as the business name on the EIN award letter you get from the IRS. To get an EIN, go here: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html

So actually, what you need to do is the last three steps in reverse!

State of Texas

Now to register as a Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) in Texas and get on the Comptroller’s Centralized Master Bidders List (CMBL), just download the appropriate pdf form from here complete, print and mail to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, P.O. Box 13186, Austin, TX 78711-3186. That’s pretty easy if you can answer all of the questions, like what your NIGP code is and you have $70.

So I am now in CCR with a DUNS and CAGE, and an EIN. And I’ll be a HUB on the CMBL as soon as I figure out my NIGP and drum up seventy bucks.

I think I need an aspirin!


Read Full Post »